Three reasons why I never dared to attempt making Tiramisu:
- Because I never got to see the lady finger cookies here and I prefer doing it classic though I know many use sponge cake to make it, i preferred to make the original.
- I thought mascarpone cheese was so expensive its not worth the make. La cremella mascarpone was not too expensive.
- I thought it was very difficult to make.
And so when I got to buy the lady finger cookie from Dubai and could buy mascarpone for a reasonable price, I thought I should at least take the step towards seeing the recipe. The recipe did not seem as difficult as i thought and so the journey towards making one of my favorite recipe started.
I followed this recipe my chef Dennis:
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar (201 gm)
- 1 1/4 cup mascarpone cheese – room temperature (284 gm)
- 1 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream (420 ml)
- 2 -12 oz packages Savoiardi Lady fingers crunchy not soft variety
- 1 cup cold espresso or strong coffee (240 ml)
- 1/2 cup coffee flavored Liquor optional (120 ml)
- 1 tbsp cocoa for dusting (30 gm)
- Combine egg yolks and sugar in the top of a double boiler, over boiling water. Reduce heat to low, and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
- This is your sabayon, remove from the heat and whip yolks until thick and lemon colored. (whipping the eggs off the heat should allow them to cool off sufficiently, if you’re going to make a larger batch make sure to give the sabayon time to cool down before adding the rest of the ingredients.)
- Add Mascarpone to whipped yolks, beat until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whip cream to stiff peaks.
- Gently fold the whipped cream in the mascarpone sabayon mixture and set aside.
- Mix the cold espresso with the coffee liquor and dip the lady fingers into the mixture just long enough to get them wet, do not soak them!
- Arrange the lady fingers in the bottom of a 8 inch square baking dish (or 6×9)
- Spoon half the mascarpone cream filling over the lady fingers.
- Repeat process with another layer.
- Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
- Dust with cocoa before serving