Thalasherry Fish Biryani (Kerala Style/Malabar style)
For Rice :
Basmati rice : 2 cups
Water : 4 cups
Cloves : 4 nos
Cardamom pods : 3-4 nos
Cinnamon stick : 1 inch piece
Bay leaves : 1-2
Onion : 1 finely, sliced
Lemon juice : 1 tsp
Salt to taste
For Marinating Fish :
King Fish (skinless, boneless cubes : 1/2 kg
Red chilly powder : 1-2 tsp
Turmeric powder : 1/2 tsp
Fennel seed/Sauf powder : 1/2 tsp
Lime juice : 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil for frying shallow frying
Onion : 4 long thin slice
Tomato : 2 long thin slice
Green chillies :6-8nos
Ginger : 2 inch
Garlic : 8-10 cloves
Red chilli powder : 1 -2 tsp
Coriander powder : 2 tbsp
Turmeric powder : 1/4 tsp
Fennel seed powder / sauf powder 1tsp
Briyani Masala : 1 tsp or any garam masala
Mint leaves : 1/4 cup
Corainder leaves: 1/2 cup
Lime juice : 1 tsp
Oil : 2 tbsp
For Garnishing :
Onion : 1/2 cup long slice
Mint leaves – Chopped
½ tsp – Biryani masala/ Garam masala
Saffron in ½ cup of warm milk.
1. Clean the fish and make a wet marinate with above mentioned marinate ingredients; apply it on fish and keep it aside.
2. Make a paste of garlic and, ginger.
3. Heat Oil in the frying pan and shallow fry the fish flipping both the sides. When done keep it aside.
4. In same frying pan, add thinly sliced onion and green chilli to left over oil and saute until it is translucent, add the ginger and garlic paste, saute until brown color,add tomatoes,saute for few seconds,now add chopped coriander leaves and mix well.
5. Add Turmeric powder, red chilli powder,coriander powder, Biryani masala/ garam masala and salt to taste and cook till done.
6. If the masala is too dry add some water and when it blends well with the masala, add fried fish and mix well, take care to be gentle and not break the fish pieces,
7. Cover & Cook on low flame for about 5mins and wait till oil starts to separate and adjust salt.
Cooking the Rice
1. Wash the rice and leave aside.
2. Heat oil in the pan, add sliced onions, all spices and saute for few mins; now add the drained rice and saute till rice combines well with all spices. Add double the quality of Hot water and bring to boil, add lime juice, simmer and cook till water drains.
Preparing for Garnish
- Heat oil and fry the thinly sliced onion till golden and crisp.
- Add finely chopped mint, lime juice and garam masala/biryani masala to the fried onions.
Layering of Biryani:
1. Take a pan or pot, take half of the fish masala and spread it as the first layer. On the masala spread half of the cooked rice, than spread a layer of garnish and sprinkle some saffron milk. Repeat the process for the next layer.
2. You can also keep the pot or pan on an iron tava instead of keeping it on direct flame. This will avoid the masala getting burnt.
3. Close and cook on low flame with tight lid for 10-15mins.