Wheat Flour Pita Bread
3/4 cup whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta)
3/4 tsp crumbled fresh yeast
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp salt
- Combine all the ingredients, except the oil and salt in a bowl and knead into a soft dough using enough water.
- Add the oil and salt and knead again till it is smooth and elastic.
- Cover the dough with a wet muslin cloth and allow it to prove till it doubles in volume (approx. 15 to 20 minutes).
- Press the dough lightly to remove the air.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal parts and roll out each portion into a oblong of 150 mm. (6″) length and 6 mm. (¼”) thickness.
- Cook the pita breads on a hot tava (griddle) over medium flame on each side for a minute or until the bread puffs up and a cavity is created in the bread.